Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Co-workers

The teachers I work with are awesome! Every morning we have breakfast (usually kim-bahp), coffee, talk about class, and joke around for 10-15 minutes before class. I work from 9am-12:10pm, then have lunch, talk with my co-teacher Min Chan about lesson plans and teaching ideas, and talk with some other teachers about fun things. It is a very relaxing and comfortable environment; quite opposite of ECC.

Last Wednesday the teachers had a volleyball championship game (for the teacher's teams) after lunch, so we went to this high school that had an indoor gym, the kids went home early, and we cheered on our school's team. Afterwards, me and some of the other six-grade lady teachers went walking around Oido beach. Oido beach is on the west side, so it is not exciting; only mud and smelly fish. But there was a cool breeze to accompany the wonderful weather.

After a nice walk, we met the other teachers for a pre-paid seafood dinner and goodtimes. Now, I know what you're thinking. "Seafood, yummy." But, you are mistaken. This is no freshly grilled tuna steak, flaky teriaki salmon, crab cake, lobster, broiled shrimp, or pan-seared talapia. Oh no...Korean seafood is octopus, jellyfish, squid, clam, and other odd sea creatures that I don't care to eat. I have tried them all though. You only live once. Heck, I've even tried Macali, which you'll have to ask a Korean about, because I'm sure my family would never let me here the end of it if I explained.

Yesterday I went to the hospital for round two of my health check, and Friday, I will go to immigration for round two of my alien card. My co-teacher and I also went to buy a bed and sofa chair. I tried to activate this cell phone that my subway friend, Chorong, gave to me, but I couldn't without my alien card. Same case with a bank account, but I knew that. Min Chan asked the principal if I could take a holiday on Thursday to get my dad from the airport, which was pretty awesome of him. We couldn't find a table that is small enough, so he is also gving me one of the student's desk and stool for my table and chair.

Everyone here is super nice. I can't even believe it. I have definitely learned from this experience not to confuse cultural conflict with personal conflict. Ecc was the first impression of Korean culture that I experience, so it was easy for me to confuse the two.

Tomorrow, the six grade teachers will go to the movie theater, hang out, and dinner after lunch. How cool is that? Starting in June, I will prepare a 40 minute free-talking (and more) English lesson for the teachers at Songwoon. Things are looking up and I'm doing great. My tummy is full of rice, I have a bed, sofa chair, table, and stool, and my dad is coming soon!

1 comment: