Friday, August 20, 2010

UNMCK

Hyeji and I traveled to the United Nations Memorial Cemetery of Korea on Tuesday. It is the only UN cemetery in the world representing and honoring all the nations that fought and died in the Korean War. Even Ethiopia suffered losses due to their efforts and alliance with Korea during that time. Some countries offered medical help, while other offered military support. The United States in particular sent Army, Navy, and Marines to help, and suffered over 30,000 casualties. However, only a small number of them were buried at UNMCK. It really amazed me to realize how many nations offered up their support to Korea in its time of need. Even under-developed countries gave what they could in either supplies, medical personnel, or military forces.

On to Busan Museum of History, where we learned about ancient Korean traditions and reigns of various dynasties. One of the many things that sets the US apart of Korea is age. Korea is far older than the US... It sure does make learning US and world history a lot less complicated for Americans. All day I was thinking about how much I would love for my Granny to have been here experiencing this with me, because I know how much she enjoys history and learning about how it effects us in modern day.

No comments:

Post a Comment