Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cooking Day

Delicious Bean Sprouts (콩나물 맛있어요)

Ingredients:
-Bean Sprouts (many)
-Water (enough to cover)
-Sesame Oil (1-2 tsp)
-Sesame Seeds (many)
-Salt (pinch)
-Red Pepper Powder (1-2 tsp, depending on the amount of sprouts)

Directions:
-Add bean sprouts to salted water
-Bring to a boil
-Let set
-Drain
-Add sesame oil, sesame seeds, and red pepper powder
EASY! (시월요)

Yummy Cucumber Kimchee (오이김치 맛있어요)

Ingredients:
-Cucumbers (many)
-Onion (1/2-1)
-Bell Pepper (1/2-1)
-Garlic (2 cloves)
-Salt (2 pinches)
-Sesame seeds (many)
-Fruit Juice Concentrate or Sugar (1-2 Tbsp)
-Red Pepper Powder (1-2 Tbsp to suit taste)

Directions:
-Peel, cut, quarter, & slice cucumbers
-Peel & cut onion into strips
-Peel & cut bell pepper into strips
-Place cucumbers and onion into a bowl with salt
-Let set for 10-20 minutes
-Drain water off
-Add bell pepper, garlic, sesame seeds, fruit juice concentrate, & red pepper powder

Fish Strips with Potato, Mushroom & Bell Pepper

Ingredients:
-Potato (2-3)
-Processed Fish Patties (2)
-Bell Pepper (1)
-Mushrooms (1 large)
-Canola, Olive, or Grape Seed Oil (3 tbsps)
-Water (1/2 cup)
-Fruit Juice Concentrate (1 tbsp)
-Rice Syrup (similar to corn syrup) (1 tbsp)
-Salt (pinch)
-Red Pepper Powder (pinch)

Directions:
-Pour oil into non-stick frying pan
-Peel, cut, quarter, & slice potatoes
-Put potatoes into frying pan; place lid on top to steam-fry for 5-10 minutes
-Peel & cut bell pepper; place into pan
-Pour a moderate amount of water into pan with vegetables
-Add salt, fruit juice concentrate, rice syrup, & red pepper powder into pan
-Cut & add mushrooms; cook until soft
-Enjoy!

Among these foods, I have also eaten fried batter-dipped salted fish, fried salted egg, fried batter-dipped salted pumpkin, steamed corn (which is yummier than in the US), rice & 고추장 (go-chu-jung / red pepper paste), 김밥 (kim-bahp), yogurt, bagel, peaches, apples, Vietnamese food, Korean soups, 밧뱅쇼 (paht bang sue), sweet bean bread, fried salted potato with hot peppers, and other things that don't come to my mind.

Emo is too sweet! She was not happy that I was sold a used purse, so she offered to go with me to take it back. So, after a nice long swim in a nearby hotel's pool, a relaxing soak in the public bath, and a good cleansing shower, Hyeji and I met Emo and 영예 (Young-Yea / Gloria), along with Emo's friend 김은영 (Kim Eun-Young) in Nopo-dong. Together, we navigated our way through all the street vendors, side stores, outside displays, and random people handing out advertisements until we were a bit confused. Luckily, I paid for over half with my ATM card, so I had a receipt with the store's phone number. Emo called the store to find that the lady was happy to meet us on the street and take us to her store. It's quite common for owner's to leave their stores for a moment, because no one in Korea will steal anything. Ajuma took us back to her store, where 해지 (Hyeji), 이모 (Emo), 영예 (Young-Yea), & 은영 (Eun-Young) talked 아주마 (ajuma) into giving me a refund. Yah!! What started out to be a situation that was just going to be left alone and called a "stupid mistake," has become a great achievement. Shame on her for taking advantage of me. Turns out, the whole store was used purses, most of which were in good condition, but I wouldn't pay 30,000W for. I mean, I'm the type of girl to go spend $15-20 on a purse at Walmart, so Korean purses are a little out of my range. However, determined to jump on the Korean band wagon, I set off once more, with my Korean posse, to find a purse for 30,000W. Going from store to store, we stopped at one that caught my eye. They had Louis Baton knock-offs too! I didn't even know I liked that style, or that I was even a purse person, but there ya go. After 아주시 (ajushi) came to understand the style and feel I was looking for, he brought the crew into a secret back room. Seriously, you think some of these stores are so small, and then, Magic...they expand! It's as if I went through a tiny portal to get there too. He even whipped out his catalog...wow! This guy thinks I'm gonna spend some money...silly old man! Apparently I have expensive taste too, but after 30 minutes, we all got ajushi to knock down the price of a knock-off Coach with cow leather straps from 60,000W to 45,000W. You've got to stand your ground man! He kept saying 60,000W, and I kept saying "that's not gonna happen," which he didn't understand, but Young-Yea would translate for me. When I first said 45,000W, ajushi laughed and said no, but Emo insisted. I took back a used, dirty, fake-looking Louis Baton knock-off and was given my 30,000W in return. I then turned around and paid only $15,000W more for a new, original-looking Coach knock-off. Not that bad, eh? It's not the first time I haggled, because that seems to be the name of the game if you buy anything off the streets, in the subway, or at locally owned shops in Korea, but it is the first time I haggled the price for something this expensive. Well, everyone else thought my bag was dirt cheap, but I thought otherwise.

Hyeji went back to her house so she could prepare for her study group tomorrow morning, so Emo drove me back home, where we had dinner and talked in Konglish via our phone dictionaries.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am impressed. It is so out of character for me to haggle. I feel your pain. It was hard for me to shop in Jerusalem where you are expected to haggle and the prices shown are more than twice what they expect you to really pay. Post a picture of your purse. You can post pictures to your blog.

    ReplyDelete