Friday, August 13, 2010

Awkward Cuteness....

So, I went to Emart for lunch today. Nothing good 'ole BiBimBahp (vegetables, rice, & hot pepper paste) to make your tummy happy! That, and some delicious sides. Scanning the food court with what seemed like no seat in sight, I found a lonely table in the corner. Well, I couldn't see my number pop up from there, so of course, I couldn't sit down. And it was just me, so I couldn't save my seat. Ok, I'll get some water. Oh, and my receipt. Water and receipt...that should save my seat. Oh, my number! I received my tray and turned around to head back to my saved seat only to find some man to the right and his shopping cart to the left. Umm...ok. I awkwardly sat down because there was no where else to sit, only to find that his wife decided to join us. I felt incredibly uncomfortable wedged between this man and his shopping cart while sitting across from his wife. Then I noticed this lady who was eating alone motion for me to come sit with her. How sweet! I could tell that she really wanted to talk with me, and tried a couple times, but as suspected, I had no idea what she was saying. I just smiled and nodded...although most of the time I had no idea what I was nodding to. As I was finishing my meal and about to leave, I heard her on the phone say "bali, bali," which means "hurry, hurry." Well, shoot. She has invited someone to meet the foreigner who she saved from an awkward situation. Or is this about to be the awkward situation? Right, right. Let's get the story straight. Oh, look..here comes...her son. Mom asked me if I was a student, how old I was, if I was single, where I lived, and all other sorts of stuff that I kinda-sorta-maybe understood a little bit. We also had the wonders of her son's iPhone's dictionary to help us out. She wanted to buy me a banana and some ice cream, but we compromised with coffee. Americano....did you know that almost all Koreans that haven't actually been to the US think that Americans drink Americano coffee. To tell you the truth...I'm not a coffee person, but after the all-nighters studying for the RD exam, my discovery of the deliciousness that is Starbucks, and my time in Korea, I'm sorta addicted. Americano though? No sugar, no cream...really? Well, I've drank it out of politeness so much now that its not that bad anymore. Most Korean coffee however is that super sugar syrupy stuff you get at the gas stations on family trips. What a contrast. I wasn't sure how long this face-to-face conversation via phone dictionary was suppose to last, but eventually, "I enjoyed talking with you" popped up on the screen. His mom is really sweet, and has my number, but unfortunately, I didn't fall madly in love at first sight with her son. Oops... I have to say though, he seemed a bit more manly than most of 'em though....minus the whole younger-than-me, language-gap thing.

1 comment:

  1. How sweet...her for noticing your discomfort and inviting you over...you for staying and visiting when her son joined you.

    ReplyDelete