I slept well last night with the fan blowing on me. I tend to not sleep well if I'm sweating from every pore on my body. It's as if I need to take two showers a day; one in the morning, and one at night. I ate 밥 (rice), 오이 김치 (cucumber kimchee), and 어묵볶음 (processed fish strips with potato and bell pepper in a teriyaki-chili-sesame sauce) for breakfast this 아침 (morning). However, longing for just a bit more of that nice cool breeze that blows from the 15-year-old, reliable and powerful fan, I laid back down for a moment. Must I get up? Well, I was to meet Hyeji at Suyeong Station at 11:30am. So I got up, stretched, and got ready to head out the door by 11am. She was coming from her university and would be transferring at Suyeong. I was coming from 이모 (Emo's) house, and even though I didn't need to transfer at Suyeong, I got off to wait for Hyeji, who would be coming to meet me soon. We then got back on the train to head towards Nopo-dong, where we met Pizza Emo for lunch at The Pho.
The Pho is a really nice Vietnamese restaurant. We ate shrimp and vegetable fried rice, clam and vegetable noodles, broth soup, and vegetable spring rolls in clear rice shells. Yum!! After that, she took us to eat 팟뱅수 (paht bang sue- shaved ice with red bean, milk, and fruit). 피자 이모 (Pizza Emo) had to go back to work, but Hyeji and I just shopped around Nopo-dong. In fact, I spent quite a lot of money. I bought some really nice periwinkle dress shorts (34,000W), a Korean-style long short-sleeve shirt with black leggings that go just below the knee (12,000W), a nice pair of lounge shorts (5,000W), and got ripped off by this lady selling used purses. I had no idea it was used either. I like to haggle, negotiate, or whatever you would like to call it, but Hyeji perceives this as conflict, and likes to avoid it. I pointed out to the owner of the store that the purse was dirty, but she wouldn't budge on the price. Wouldn't you believe I spent 30,000W on it too!! There is no way I can find that store again. Korea is crawling with tiny hole-in-the-wall shops everywhere, and this was just one of them. All the other purses were about 60,000-120,000W, so I thought I found a deal. Its a Louis Baton (or however you spell that) knock-off, but I didn't care. Stupid lady; that irritates me!
On the way home, we stopped by a hiking store, where I spotted some really great shoes, that believe it or not, were actually in my size (250m), and were on sale from 200,000W to 120,000W. You've got to be kidding me. I didn't buy them. With the bus ticket, food, water and other drinks, hiking, and shopping, I've spent more than enough in Busan. What happened to life in Americus, GA, where the only money I spent was on food, electricity, housing, internet, phone, and the occasional dinner out with friends? I would cook cheap 'ole spaghetti that would feed the masses. That's how I entertained guests and enjoyed the company of friends.
Hyeji went home to prepare for her study group tomorrow. I will meet her at her university at 2pm. I haven't really figured out what I am going to do until then, but I'll work it out. I ate the same thing I had for breakfast for dinner, with the addition of some spicy bean sprouts. I only say "spicy" because I know there is red pepper power or paste in something, but not really because it is actually spicy to me. In fact, you can safely assume from now on, if you hadn't before, that msot everything I eat is going to have hot pepper paste or power added to it. Tonight Pizza Emo and her daughter came over, so we all had a good time speaking Konglish (Korean English) together while watching a Korean drama.

No comments:
Post a Comment