2. Local Markets, Corner Stores, & Street Vendors- Something that can't happen in America due to it's economy. All we have are large franchises around.
3. Clean Floors- I've always tried to have one of these, but in Korea, everyone respects the need to take of your shoes inside before walking on the floor.
4. PC Bahngs- Cheaper than having internet at your home for sure. For about 1,000W/hour, its a great alternative to a spotty internet connection that don't pay for anyway.
5. Parks- They're everywhere! Amongst the large concrete buildings and treeless cities, you will find a magnificent park, with beautiful blooming flowers, lush green trees, and bike/walking paths.
6. Mountains- Well, they don't have those where I'm from! And so many people do it, that it seems as tough you're never alone.
7. Frozen Yogurt- This isn't like the stuff you buy in the states that just tastes like super-sugary, low-fat ice cream. It actually tastes like yogurt. You know, a little sweet and a little sour...Yum! Even if you go to Baskin Robins and order frozen yogurt, this is what you're gonna get. It's delicious!
8. Underground & Aboveground shopping outlets- These Korean's love their shopping! Myeong-dong, Insa-dong, Dongdaemun, Namdaemun, and other random places. It isn't out of the ordinary to find them in subway stations as well. Most of them are crazy cheap too! I found some lovely earrings in Dongdaemun earlier this year for 1,000W, and just bought sunglasses in Namdaemun for 3,000W. Nice.
9. Traveling- If I didn't know I had it before, Korea definitely confirmed my sickness. I've caught the travel bug and I ain't afraid to spread it around. Two continents down!
10. Food- Nang Myeon (cold noodle), Kim Bahp (Korean style sushi), Bi Bim Bahp (vegetables, red pepper paste, rice), Kal Guk Su (hot noodles), Ja Jahng Myeong (noodles with black bean sauce), Dweung Jung Jig Gae (miso soup with tofu, vegetables), Pat Bahng Su (shaved ice with sweet red bean, rice cake, fruit and syrup), Cucumber Kim Chee, and many other delicious menu options. I love them all. Yes, nothing compares to the deli sandwiches of FireHouse, Subway, Slokskzi's, or Red Elephant back home, or the gourmet salad bar selections of find Italian restaurants or steak houses...I agree. But even in South Korea, there is a fine selection of Indian Cuisine that is to die for!
11. Kindness- I know that I have in the past blogged about some incredibly rude encounters with Koreans, and purposefully let others out because they were so ridiculously frustrating, but in general, Koreans are very kind. Just the other day, I was on the bus with no cash and an empty T-Money card, and this Ajuma just gave me 1,000W...too sweet. On many occasions, I have been out to dinner or lunch with Koreans that insist on paying the bill because I am their guest. Yesterday a friend's mom bought me a wallet because all I had was a coin purse that was busting at the seams. Another friend's mom would always give me food when I went to her house. For the most part, the rudeness comes from cultural differences and misunderstandings.
12. Safety- Kids can run around town without their parents with no worries of what will happen to them. In fact, no one steals here either. Many of the local street vendors I talked about early aren't even at their kiosk when I walk by at nighttime. The owner's aren't afraid of people stealing their goods because it doesn't happen. I can't imagine why though; it seems so tempting. But honesty here is contagious! I mean, I wouldn't really steal anything anyway, but after grabbing something off a table on the street, out of the vendor's view, I still walked around the crowd and into the store to pay 1,000W for the item. I didn't even have a bank account before I came to Jeongwang. I can walk around at night without the fear of anyone jumping out from behind buildings or nearby bushes. That kind of thing isn't going to happen.
I'm quite certain that there are more things I love about Korea, but I can't really think of them all at the moment. But I have about 8 1/2 more months, so I have a lot of time to let you know of anything else that comes to mind.

No comments:
Post a Comment