Kathmandu is really nice. I've felt more at home here in one day than I have in Korea over the past year. Poverty is a big problem here, with four-six person families living in one-bedroom houses with no running water. The Day's tell me that water is big problem in Nepal, so they filter their water twice or boil it before drinking. The houses and schools are quite nice and usually built out of stone and/or concrete. Everything is low-level and spread out with dirt roads and small grocery and produce vendors along the side. Electricity runs on a schedule for conservation purposes, so each day has a specified time for which the electricity is running; once in the morning, and once again in the evening. My shower is gas, so I need to turn the nossle down on the gas tank prior to turning on the water. And of course, I must wait for the pilot light to ignite before turning on the water, just as I do back home. The public toilets have down-graded from Korea, on to Thailand, and now Nepal. But of course, I have become accostumed to it by now. And yes, I always have TP with me. There is no central heating or aircondidtioning, just as in Korea, so I am quite cold at night. It gets quite warm during the day, but when the sun goes down, it's as if I'm in my home in South Korea (~58F).
Ms. Teresa and Rendell hire a cook who made Lasanga for us last night. It was a bit cold due to the fact that we didn't have the electricity to heat it up, but all was well, and it was good. We also had the best carrot salad I've ever had with golden raisins and ginger. The morning Ms. Teresa fixed oatmeal with raisins. True, honest to goodness plain oats! No sugar or salt...I loved it! I hadn't had lasanga, carrot salad, or oatmeal in over a year. I gobbled it up. This morning I went to church with them. It was great to hear Rendell speak too. Afterwards, I went with some folks around my age to a place called "Crazy Greengo," which is, you guessed it, a lovely little Mexican place where I had a been burrito. Tax is not included in the price of the meal, so that was a shocker...but that's how it is in the states as well.
I've been asked to share my testimony tonight, so I must be going so that I have a change to prepare. I love you all. And somebody should please tell Shelly that I wish her well and am thinking about her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sunday 8:30 am CST Shelly is getting ready to go into surgery for c-section. I sent your message to her in a text to Aunt Joy. Enjoy your time with Teresa and Rendall.
ReplyDeleteI wish Shelly well and you also in Nepal.
ReplyDelete