Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bangkok, Thailand

I arrived in Bangkok airport around 11am. I feel as though their airport is not so helpful, so I walked around in circles, up and down between floors, and asked several different people questions that told me several different things for about one hour. Finally, I found a both outside that was selling bus tickets. Well, where should I go I thought. I heard that Khawsan Rd was a pretty happening place, so I bought a ticket to go there. The bus soon came, and tons of backpackers from the England, France, Germany, and Russa piled on. One hour later, we arrived at a highly populated area. Venders all up and down the street selling food, fresh fruit juice, clothing, bags, watches, nic nacs, and more. There were also many guest houses and hostels. Thai people haggle more than any other country I've heard about or been to. If they say B550 (~$17.50), you say a lower price, and if they don't drop, you walk away, and they will drop the price until it is something that you would pay for. But of course, I told you this once before. Thai people are incredibly friendly, and if they can't sell you something, they will tell you someone who can. This man wanted me to stay in his hostel, but the price was too expensive, he asked me how much I would pay, and then pointed me in the direction of a hostel that price.

My hostel was B200 (~$6) per night. She even let me look at the room before paying. I walked through a small hallway, where some man was selling tour packages, to a more open area with computers, printers, fans, and a "front desk." My room had a bed, two fans, and a little table. Everyone shared the toilet, which you much flush by pouring water down, and the cold shower. I didn't bring a towel, so I just dried off with my used clothes. So, off I went to by some TP and look around. Bangkok was about 20F or more hotter than Chiang Mai. My skirt and flip flops were still wet from my bamboo rafting, so I took that out and worn it. Not only did it cool me off, but they dried in no time flat. Not much to see. I walked around to see the vendors, had some fresh fruit and papaya juice, and looked at some nearby temples. I was really tired, so I went to bed about six. Not much sleeping to be had due the noise outside and downstairs. Apparently that's the street that never sleeps.

I bought my taxi van ticket for a ride back to the airport that day in the event that they might be sold out if I waited until the day I left. The next morning i woke up early, packed up, and headed out to meet the taxi van. At the airport by 8am, I standed in ridiculously long lines both to check-in and go through immigration before walking through a long line of shops on the way to the gates. I met both a Nepalese women who lived in Korea and was going back to be a Christian Missionary in Nepal and a Philipino who met a Nepalese man in India and will marry soon. Unfortunately, our seats were far apart, but she did get my Facebook information.

Opinion of Thailand: Well, I traveled alone, and while it wasn't scary, it was lonely. Many tourist did not speak English as their native language, so it was quite difficult to talk with them. Thailand is a BIG tourist country, North and South...all over. I don't care for that so much. Thai people would no survive without tourism. Even the people in poor villages make small items to sell in downtown markets. There were very few Thai people in Thailand that I saw. I would rather have this nice cultural experience rather than sight-see for $30/tour with tourist. So, all and all, I didn't care for it and might not recommend it. However, if I traveled with a friend, I might have a different opinion. Not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment