Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Golden Triangle

Today I woke up around 6:50am and came from my cottage to the dining area to eat breakfast, all open and outdoors. I think everything is this way due to the weather. I am told that in summer time, Thailand is really hot and sticky with lots of rain and misquitos. Nong's husband drove Nong and I to the meeting place of my tour bus. I have been slightly disappointed at the number of westerners I have seen in Thailand because this makes it quite difficult to experience true Thai culture, which is what I was hoping to achieve by staying with a Thai family. However, I never really go in Nong's house and don't eat or socialize with them. I believe Nong is the only one who speaks English.

The tour bus was full of people from Australia, Belgium, Russia, and other places with a language other than my own. There was a lady in her 40's from Sydney, so we talked quite a bit during our tour. I think we were the only native English speakers in the van. The others found it difficult to understand me and I them, so talking was limited. However, Asian people learn to speak English with an American accent, so I can usually understanding between us is easier.

Five hours to North Thailand and five hours back. We stopped at a temple which was quite detailed and beautiful, but less attractive to me than Korean ones. We also stopped at many markets similar to Korean ones. All locally owned with prices that could be negociated. I apologize for my spelling, but there is no Google Chrome on this computer and I didn't think to download it. Mozzila Firefox doesn't have spell check like Chrome...shame!

The golden triangle can be visited in the Northen most part of Thailand. It is the triangle where Loas, Burma, and Thailand meet, seperated by a river. Apparently a long time ago, these three countries all sold opium, but don't anymore. We took a boat across the rive and walked around a local market in Laos. The market was desert sand with many wooden huts with straw tops selling various tourist items. Laos is famous for their wiskey. They kill snakes, armadillas, and turtle to ferment in wiskey. Interesting.

Once again, we stopped at a market before returning to Chiang Mai around 8pm. Nong and I stayed up chatting about cultural differences while her husband brought us a delicious Thai dessert (sweet rice with coconut milk and banana steamed in banana leaf)...yum! Next, I was served pineapple. And not just any pineapple, but a small one...a delicious one. Interesting because normally I hate pineapple~ Once upon a time, when I talked about cultural differences, my sentences always started with "In America...," but now, they start with "In Korea..." Funny. The more I talk about the culture of Korea to Thai people, the more I realize how much I will miss it when I am gone. And yes, even the rice and kimchee. In fact, I asked for rice this morning for breakfast, and Nong looked at me like I was crazy..hehe! Just used to it I suppose.

Overall, yesterday was so much better. This was interesting, but not great. Most of the day was spent in a van sitting next to people whose first language wasn't English. And, for those of you who know me, I like to move and walk around in nature and experience cultural things. I wouldn't recommend it, but no use in regretting it. I still had an adventure. Everywhere you go is somewhere that you can say you have been, and everything that you do is something that you can say you have done. I have now been to the country of Laos. So, I can check this one off my list :)

No comments:

Post a Comment