Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Deaf & Blind

Today is Ms. Teresa's birthday, so I went to a nearby bakery called Higher Ground to get her a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. You may think this is a unique name, and it is. Missionaries must come to Nepal under some sort of business visa, so many own restaurants or bakeries. Interesting, isn't it?! When I got back I hopped in the shower and then started chopping some lettuce and carrot for oil & vinegar cole slaw. The vegetable vendor threw in some free peppers, so I chopped and mashed up three little green ones and one little red one to throw in as well. We ate that, the rest of the lasagna, some calzones, and focaccia bread for dinner. And guess who came? Two deaf American girls and one deaf Nepali guy. Coco, one of the American girls, could sign in both Nepali and English, so she would actually translate to the other girl. She is also legally blind, so she would feel the hands of someone who was signing to her. It was so great watching these people communicate with one another, laugh, and enjoy each other's company. We communicated through hand motions, white board, and computer. One of the girls wrote "happy birthday" to Ms. Teresa in French, German, Spanish, & English while the Nepali guy, SirJohn, wrote it in Nepali. Nice. None of these folks are Christians, but Rendell and Teresa are hoping that their time and fellowships, as well as communication about who God is and what He has done, will help to change that.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for all of your posts and letting us share in your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I am reading a book. Your writing makes me relax and gives me many imagination.

    ReplyDelete