Thursday, March 3, 2011

Famous 15*

Wow!! I couldn't be more impressed with Seunghui! I mean, I was already impressed with her organization, dedication, and preparation, but my goodness!! Yes, it was nice to sit down and talk with her before hand about what we expect from one another, but that's only the half of it. I think I'm finally getting a handle on this crazy schedule bit too. Our contracts are the same, so we both get paid to teach 21 hours each week...even though we have to be here for forty (go figure). So, Seunghui and I teach 10 classes together, and we both teach 10 classes alone. When I teach there is a Korean teacher with me that can help out a bit. I am just amazed at how she handles things. If she has her classroom in control, then students must respect her, and if students respect her, it is so much easier to teach them.. even when she's not in the room. Plus, she is on the same page with discipline, so we both handle it in the same manner and expect the same behavior from students. Now her English comprehension is so much better than Min Chan's, so not only do we have the occasional conversation when there are not students, but she understands things when I talk with her about something. Wow!! It is so frustrating to, not only be put with a Korean teacher that doesn't have control of or respect from his classroom, but is not on board or consistent with any disciplinary measure. I think that Min Chan really misrepresented Korean teachers. He didn't help in any way. That is why I am so amazed with Seunghui.

Today's schedule went a little something like this: (1) Seughui (2) SH + KA (3) Seunghui (4) SH + KA (5) KA (6) KA. Yes, I teach fifth and sixth period this year, whereas last year English class only went until fourth. No afterschool classes, so no extra money..shame!

Our disciplinary system operates on the "Stoplight" method, adapted from Callaway Elementary School in Florida..hehe! Sixth period I had class 6-2, and number 15 insisted on goofing off the whole time. I finally put him on red and made him stay after class to write sentences from a script on the wall. He will also be eliminated from the end-of-the-month English party we will throw for green students. When I told Seunghui about this, and she looked up his name, her face relaxed and she let out a big sigh. "What?" I asked. Well, turns out this kid is famous for being a class clown and the whole school knows it. Dagnabit...why do I get him? Oh, well..if he is the only one out of 30-some kids, I can take it. For the most part, today went very smoothly.

We have a new principal and ten new teachers, so the whole school is going out to dinner tonight to introduce them. Hey; no one gave me a dinner :(

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing how teachers can be as different as night and day? I am sympathetic with parents who request a particular teacher for their child. It can make a difference in how much the child learns. Both teachers may be knowledgeable but classroom management can make the difference.

    ReplyDelete