Monday, April 4, 2011

Dream Care Eye Clinic

Wow! I don't even know where to start. Well, ok, here's a go...my eyes are still dilated, so please forgive any spelling mistakes, as it is difficult for me to focus on what I am typing now. I have nothing but good things to say about healthcare in Korea. I was surprised at the patient care, speed of care, and state of care I've received with my ENT, cardiologist, dentist, and now ophthalmologist.

Today was my FREE consultation at Dream Care Eye Clinic in Gangnam, Seoul for LasEk surgery. I left school at 2pm to check my bank account (I finally got paid for March..after much pushing!), and head off to Oido Station to catch the train to Sadang. Transferring to line 2 towards Gangnam, the ride and walk took about 2 hours. I even had enough time to grab a smoothie before hand. And boy will I be glad when I don't ahve to pay $5 for a smoothie and can just make my own! Gangnam exit 2: Walk straight to the TNGT building (#326) beside Dunkin Doughnuts. It's a super-fancy building with the word "Cass" over the front door. They are on the 3rd floor.

The clinic was incredibly impressive with a large and peaceful waiting room and even laptops for their patient's use during the wait. After about five minutes, one of the doctors came out to talk with me about surgery and gain some more information on me. This is where I showed him paperwork from my previous eye doctor in Panama City, which included my diagnosis of rotation nystamus, astigmatism, and congenital ocular motor apraxia. Needless to say, I was prepared for the worst...and always have been. Where do I start?

Then we proceeded into a center "lobby" that was lined with various machines, about eight or so, that would test everything from corneal thickness to field of vision. I was also taken into a room where I was asked to to look at a digital screen displaying various letters (21st century eye chart...get with the program America!) while he asked me the famous "1 or 2" question while holding up different corrective lens to my eyes. Let me not forget the eye poking! Just kidding; he didn't poke, but he did touch it with some sort of pen thing. Not sure what that was for, but they are super thorough, so I wasn't worried. The man even checked the amount of water in my eye by sticking some sort of wick things in them for five minutes. Yes, I had to keep my eyes closed, and no, not terribly uncomfortable. Along they way he would place dilation drops in my eye. Eventually I saw another doctor who looked at my pupils. He put some sort of suction thing on my eye which was kind of uncomfortable, but this helped him see into my eye better. He said that there were some spots on my retina that should be checked out.
Then, he cleared me for surgery. I have an appointment on April 15, 2011 at 5pm. Wish me luck!!

Am I scared? Sure. Why? Because I am a "special case" as the doc puts it. I was told that there are new tracking devices that track my eye movement 400x/second, making operating on individuals with nystagmus not a problem. However, I can't overlook the fact that my nystagmus, along with ocular muscular movements due to ocular motor apraxia will always limit my vision. In fact, it has always been the reason my vision couldn't be corrected to 20/20. Such is still the case with this surgery. The most my eyes can be corrected is limited based on this muscular dysfunction. Thus, my vision can best be corrected to 20/40 and 20/50 if I have this surgery, meaning I would no longer need glasses or contacts, but would still not see 20/20. So, it's either keep the contacts and glasses and deal with having to wear them, or cough up the dough and get the surgery so I no longer have to wear them. I would really like some advice on this...really!!! Comment or Facebook me!!

My vision will not be worse, and my vision will not get better. However, I will no longer have to wear contacts or glasses. Which, if you think about it, is the reason anyone else gets the surgery. The total price is 2mil Won with 20% discount both for being a foreigner and recommending them to others. That is about $1,654. That sounds like a lot, right?! Yes, it does. But you might change your mind when you find out that the US price for this surgery is about $4,000 or more. So for about one month's salary..is it all worth it? I need advice!

What's involved? Well, during Lasek (not to be confused with Lasik), my eyes will be washed in an alcohol solution before the epithelial cells of my corneas will be rubbed off and then a laser reshapes my cornea. Not only will the laser track the movement of my eye, but the doctor will hold my eyes still with some sort of device. The laser portion takes a matter of seconds, and I think the surgery from start to finish takes 20 minutes. I'm awake with local anesthetic and yes, that freaks me out. I can't imagine it, but I was assured there would be no pain; only coldness or pressure.

It would be best if I had more time in Korea, so that I could have more checkups, which are included in the price of the surgery. However, I will be sent home with enough eye drops of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds to last me the duration that I would need them. I would come see the doc the day after surgery, two days later, one week later, and two weeks later.. That will be right before I go home. The doc says this is possible, but it would be good to get an eye exam at home as well, which I suppose I would have anyway.

I NEED ADVICE....please!!!! Thanks. Love you guys :)

3 comments:

  1. So, I read your blog within the first five minutes of talking to you online, but I don't think you understood it because you still kept telling me to read it. So I'm letting you know that I read it and I think you should go ahead with it.

    The guy I work with that got it done is recovering just fine. He has to wear sunglasses for a while because it makes your eyes very sensitive to light, but he could tell a change in his vision right away and he said it gets better as it heals.

    So if the military's doctors can't screw it up, the koreans probably have it figured out pretty well. It's all done by machines anyways. I say go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, your blog is very pink. I usually read it from within google reader, so I don't notice. It looks like it would taste like strawberry flavored candy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like this would make your life much easier. It sounds like you have given this much thought and these doctors really know what they are doing. I say go with your heart and mind and I will pray for God to guide you in your decision and your operation and your healing and recovery. I love you very much.

    ReplyDelete