Monday, April 11, 2011

Glasses

Haha..okay. So wearing glasses is officially annoying. Not to mention, my focus and understanding of what I see is totally off. I've already bumped my feet into desks and chairs a couple times. I don't like the way they feel on my face. And, the most annoying, I can't wear sunglasses. Shame, I left my clip-ons back in the '80's! I tend to take my glasses on and off more readily then I would contacts, adding to the inconvenience. I guess this will make having refreshed and reshaped eyeballs all the more exciting. I explained to my kids that I was getting eye surgery on Friday, and they automatically knew it had to be Lasek. I had no idea just how popular Lasek eye surgery is in Korea. One of my co-workers had Lasik done three years ago. Interesting.

I saw this podcast video on youtube concerning the first ever doctor in the WORLD to perform corrective surgery on pediatric nystagmus patients at Arkon Children's Hospital in Ohio. Really? Risky? Yeah, probably. Would it be worth it? Yeah, probably. Please check it out. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNrOwjNCpzk> If you are squimish when it comes to medical stuff, don't watch it, as it may gross you out. However, you should listen to it. Could 20/20 vision be well within my reach during this lifetime? It may be....

Today we are in part six of lesson three. T: What is the title of lesson three? S: Do you like Spring? T: What are we learning about? S: We are learning about seasons. Our part six activity involves the students asking each other what season he or she likes and the placing a hash mark for that season on the board so everyone knows the percentage of students that like what season. Afterwards the students are divided up into groups according to what season they chose to like. In their groups, the have three minutes to write down as many FULL sentences as possibly explaining why they like that season. When finished, the group with the most FULL sentences wins a prize? The prize.. Well, I am full of goodies and surprises that go beyond candies and stickers. The winners, as well as those who got their number next to the green light on the board stood in line for one pencil and one eraser from my prize box. When it's all said and done, WHEW!!!! The kids love it, but keeping them tamed during the whole ordeal is exhausting to say the least! After teaching forty students for one year, I feel as though I could teach twenty with my eyes closed...just saying.

Doctor Edinger from NorthWest Florida Eye Center came through for me today. The nurses (not really sure what they are called at an eye clinic) called my parents today and told them that he had confirmed the information that my doctor in Korea had told me. Another whew for the day. I can have peace now. I read many descriptive blogs from many foreigners who have had their LASEK surgery done at Dream Eye Center, as well as googlED and youtubED (yes, I made those verbs lol) the procedure so that I could read about and view the pre, during, and post procedure. This is how I found out about the nystagmus operation. It's always a good idea to research medical procedures and innovations on your own. Doctors are qualified to due what they went to school for, and answer any questions you have, but it is highly impossible for everyone to know everything there is to know.

The day after my procedure is the beginning of the Cherry Blossom Festival in Yeoido, Seoul. This is the most famous place to see hundreds of Cherry Blossom trees, with a park and many festivities. I will unfortunately not be able to join my friends during this time :( which makes me INCREDIBLY sad. However, I should think about the health of my eyes and carry on. Nothing much to do this past weekend. I thought about going outside to a nearby park and walking around, but it was a bit chilly, and the thought of doing activities along isn't motivating to me. The blossom festival is all week long, so perhaps I will be up to going by myself (if I'm highly motivated to) sometime during my week off.

Much love to all <3 <3 <3 ~ Over and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment