Hmm..where to start? I always have that trouble. I mean, I used to blog right after something cool happened. Well, for the past couple months, nothing cool has happened lol. I mean, my friend Sarah has been amazing through this whole eye ordeal, and Leanna has kept up with me via facebook since I got here, which has really helped. And yes, she and her husband Ross are okay. They live in Moundville, 'bout 20min outside of Ttown in Bama.
Sarah moved into a new apartment last week after resigning with her current school. Bummer though.. The contract states that the school only pays 400,000w/mo for an apartment and hers is 420,000w. The other tricky part, well, Korean apartments have this CRAZY high deposit. Her's was 5mil Won (~$5,000). Since it was her choice to move, she had to pay that :( Anyway, she bought this really simple looking, yet incredibly complicated suspension close rack/shelving unit from Emart. So I went over last weekend with some homemade fudge and cookies, some jelly beans mom sent, oranges, bubble gum, sugar (cause she needed it), and hangers (cause they're crazy expensive in Korea) to help her out. It was seriously an all-night job. And ya know what, real women don't need instructions lol!! We'll maybe they would have helped, but they were in Korean, so heck if we knew which end was up until it didn't work out. There were so many mistakes that we made only t realize it much later when something else didn't seem to work. We even assembled the whole thing in one room, only to find out the door opening was too low to move it into the other haha. Good thing it was on suspension, so we just lowered it some. That, and Korean apartments are so tiny, I'm pretty sure we woke up all her neighbors while bangin' around. I say "tiny" because it sure is compared to even the smallest of American apartments, but it's nice and spacey compared to mine hehe. She has a bedroom, bathroom, laundry room, kitchen, and computer room...snazzy! And with real doors! She lives behind a highschool near Jeongwang station.
Eyes? Went Thursday for a final checkup and pick up ordered contacts. Turns out the axis of my others were way off...who knew? I guess my American doc doesn't have the equipment to check that as well. Well, no contacts, but my eyes were checked, dilated, and then i was sent across Gangnam in Seoul to see a retina specialist. Yes, in the bright sun with dilated eyes...seriously. I'm sure you can imagine that wasn't easy...Seoul, look up..large buildings. That, and the receptionist at Dream didn't write down the correct directions due to her limited English. "Simple conversation..sorry" she always tells me. Found it!! Waiting, more drops, more test, doc sees me to look into my retinas using this suction-cup magnifying glass on my eyes (Dream doc used it many times). Well, this time, I cried. Why? No idea. Seriously, I couldn't pull myself together. My eye just didn't wanna be touched. Surgery, bandage lens, tests...my right eye has had enough of this poking and proding...and it said No! I told the doc I was sorry, and that he should start with the left eye. Much better. More drops, sit and wait. Then the receptionist tells me 67,000W please. What? He didn't do anything. I have cobble stone degeneration on my retinas and he didn't fix it, so why am I paying anyone anything? Of course I was still shakin' up from the eyeball touching so I was crying, and of course, the receptionist had no reason to believe it wasn't about the money. The doc calls me back in, explains to me that he is a retina specialist (thanks man..already knew that) and that I am paying for his knowledge. Cocky are we? "Whatever.." I wanted them to call Dream Eye Clinic so that I could talk to someone there, but they wouldn't. So, I spent my 50 cents/min doing so myself. Turns out the receptionist only wanted 6,700W. Well now, I could do that. But not after these people don't think I'm a huge jerk who made a fuss about it. Seriously, it was just the eye trauma. I know well enough not to get upset over miscommunication because it just makes you look like a fool. Well, needless to say, I looked like fool, and was completely embarrassed, paid, and left. What is with the crying? I wore contacts on Friday for the first time since "surgery" and survived.
Called my friend. Gonna eat in Gangnam at On the Border (yay!!) and then go shopping in Nomdeamun (behind Seoul Station). I need to shower, get dressed, walk to the station, and spend about 1 1/2 hr on the train... So..adios for now. Shame, it's already 1:30pm, which means I won't get back until later. That's okay, cause I didn't get home 'til late last night either. Bad storm and no sleep = woke up late.
Talk to ya later I suppose. Downloading pics from work computer, mailing package of winter clothes via ship, paying bills, disconnecting phone, packing. Yeah..haven't packed ANYTHING yet lol. See ya..

GOod luck with all you have to do in order to leave. Did you put a deposit on your apartment that you get back? Remember to tell the phone company to turn off your phone as of May 7th.
ReplyDelete