Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Traditional Folk Village

Daddy came to school with me on Tuesday to give an introduction about himself to the students and watch me teach. Afterwards, Em Teacher (6-2 Teacher) took us to Ansan, where we watched some teachers working under a famous Korean painter create traditional Korean paintings with black ink and Chinese paper. Those teachers then treated my dad and I to a fancy Korean-style dinner with fish, rice, bean sprouts, cabbage, pork, green sea things, and pancake. However, "traditional" means that we were sitting on the floor, and well, lets just say that daddy had some technical difficulties with this one.

Wednesday was election day, so niether teachers nor students came to school that day. Daddy and I went with Em teacher and her son Moon to a Traditional Korean Folk Village south of Jeongwang-dong (my home). It is kind of like visiting Colonial Williamsburg for Americans. There were museums, house, plays, and shows to see, as well as delicious food to eat. Dad had some kind of beef stew, while I had rice and beesy soup. Beesy is the meal-like substance left over from making tofu. We saw a wedding ceremony, horse riders that preformed tricks, tight rope walkers, dancing, and the process of making various Korean side dishes, such as kimchee.

Today, when I went to school, daddy went to Jeongwang station to meet Sooman and travel via subway into Insa-dong where he will visit Gyeongbok Palace. I'm assumming that they will be back by the time I get home, but I'm not sure. I guess I'll find out.

Saturday is DMZ and dinner in Uijeongbu with Robbie and some friends. Sunday is Seoule Grand Park with Sooman and Jin Young. Monday is dinner at Sooman's house. And Tuesday, Sooman takes daddy back to the Airport in the morning. He certainly had a full week for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment