Did I mention that I love public school? Korean National Holidays = no school!!!
January 1st- New Year's
February 3rd- Korean New Year's
March 1st- Korean Independence Day
April- no holidays
May 5th- Children's Day
May 21st- Buddha's Birthday
June 2nd- Election Day
July 20th~30th- Summer Vacation
August 1st~26th- Summer Vacation
September 18-26th- Korean Thanksgiving
October 3rd- National Foundation Day
November- no holidays
December 3rd~February 17th- Winter Break
December 25th- Christ's Birthday
Even though July 20th-August 26th is summer vacation, and December 3rd-February 17th is winter vacation, I have English camps during both breaks. I am allowed to take 21 days vacation during one or both of those breaks.
One of my co-workers, Park SeungHee, might go with me to Nepal this winter. I was thinking about summer, but she is studying hard in graduate school during that time. She will be married in November, but her husband will be busy with work in January and wishes for her to travel, so perhaps we will go then. I have spoken with missionaries that I know who live in Katmandu who have agreed to host us during our stay.
My mother would like to visit Korea in November, however there are no national holidays during that time, so I am asking her to perhaps reconsider coming in September during Thanksgiving. If not, perhaps I will visit Jeju Island with my new friend Sharmila, a South African who works at Oido Elementary School.
I will begin an after-school English class for teachers on Monday, June 14th at 3:30pm, where our free-talking will be centered around a popular Korean/English motivational book. Lesson one: Power Walking and Exercise (I swear this was not my idea...even though it definitely sounds like it). The teachers sound as though they are familiar with the author and would enjoy the class. If not, we can just choose another book or topic of conversation.
I will begin an after-school English phonics class for 3rd and 4th graders on Wednesday, June 16th at 2pm. Their home-room teacher will begin teaching them English writing skills, while I teach them speaking and listening. I'm excited about teaching fun songs and games that encourage use of basic English speaking skills.
We have begun Lesson 7 of our six grade English book. The topic reads "My father is a pilot." We will learn about various professionals and members of our family through verbal repitition, songs, chants, games, and critical thinking...the usual.
My co-workers are talking about me. Always "Blah, blah, blah, Korean, Korean.....Aleesew (which is the phonetic spelling of the Korean pronounciation of my name)." I never know what they are saying, but they ususally talk about how much I eat at lunch and snack times..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment