Tuesday, June 15, 2010

School & Soccer

Ok, so we all know soccer's not my thing, but in taking one for the team, I've decided to enjoy it. South Korea played its first game on Saturday, and will play its second on Thursday (I think). I didn't watch the game this past weekend, but will aparently watching it this Thursday (or celebrating it anyway) with Sooman, Jin Young, and Hyeryong. It will be like a mini GSW/ICF reuion in Korea...how cool is that?!

I will soon begin working with Emmanuel Church in my city to start up an English service with the interim pastor there. Her name is Gloria and she speaks English somewhat well. They don't have a singer in their praise band, so I'm gonna help them out. Their second annual English service will be held July 18th at 7:30pm. There is expected to be about four hundred participants...wow!! That is slightly intimidating for sure.

I will be going to an English service in Noksapyeoung this Sunday. I'm thinking it takes about two hours on the Subway to get there, but I have spoken with the pastor, and am excited about attending. Afterwards I will meet up with a New Yorker friend who lives in that area.

There were five third graders in my first weekly afterschool class today. We practiced phonics, days of the week, months of the year, please, and thank you through songs. I'm half-heartedly prepared for these things, so most of the time I just go where the wind blows me.

I met with EunJoo today afterschool to discuss summer camp plans. We will still have three weeks of camp, with two groups of twenty students each per day each week. We will teach each class for 1 1/2 hours, but we decided to break it up into 40minute lessons with a 10 minute break in between. The first forty minutes of each class will be phonics. Monday is M&N, Tuesday is R&L, Wednesday is F&P, Thursday is Z&X, and Friday is TH&SH. I worked with EunJoo to pick out sounds that are particularly difficult for Koreans. The second 40 minutes will be different each day. Monday will be introduction and magic words, Tuesday: favorites and feelings, Wednesday: Days of the week, months of the year, and counting (1-30), Thursday: senses, and Friday: cooking party. Funny thing about the cooking is we don't have a kitchen. Lots of brainstorming that still needs to be done here.

I must go. I am having dinner with EunJoo tonight. Until tomorrow my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment