Thursday, February 10, 2011

Insights

Being a foreign Christian in South Korea can be super lonely, but I guess I didn't realize just how lonely I was until I came to visit Rendell and Teresa. I haven't been on any long journeys outside of Kathmandu or experienced trekking of any sort, but just being in the presence of others, especially fellow believers, has been such a blessing. To wake up and hear someone in the kitchen making coffee or fixing oatmeal is nice. And to go to bed knowing you are not alone is comforting. I've applied to many teaching positions and prayed about the possibility of me returning to Nepal at the end of my one-year contract in Korea. However, God is also revealing to me how much I miss my family and Dietetics. Getting a tourist visa and plane ticket are expensive, and getting a job is difficult. While they are both totally doable and incredibly possible, I am definitely reminded of how important prayer is in this situation.

I have been so excited for so long about getting a job in diabetes education in America. In fact, you could say that is all I wanted since college. However, my experiences, both good and bad, were not in vein. I've learned that God can both use and teach you, and it can occur either simultaneously or at separate times. In the five years prior to coming to Korea, God used me for International Student Ministry. However, I struggled for a long time about why God called me to South Korea and what help I could have been to Him here. I thought God might have needed me for some great purpose, and instead, I usually found myself alone, with no church family and little friends or company. This made me feel like a failure. I knew only a handful of college students, all of which were most often too busy to meet with. Now, looking back on the past year, I've realized that He taught me the importance and great need for such a ministry in the States. He taught me how lonely I am without Him and how much the world has nothing to offer me. He reminded me of how meaningless my life is without Him. This past year, God taught me. I have been without money, phone, internet, a place to stay, and a visa to legally be in the country. I have experienced hard times, lonely ones, and rough ones, and God has gotten me through them all. My faith has been tested in ways it never would have been in the States, and I have been strengthened. I’ve learned about honest, humility, trust, and acceptance. For everything there is a season.

Momma- I miss you and love you! This needs more prayer, but I believe God is calling me home. With that said, I am looking into a diabetes and endocrinology center in Kathmandu. I just about cry when I think of being under the same roof as you, dad, Marcus, and Jillian. I can't imagine waking up in your house and hearing you and daddy downstairs making coffee. What a delight that will be. Hugs and kisses. I love you so much!!!

2 comments:

  1. God will read your experience and He will soon let you know what He want you to be as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is with you always. I will pray for you. Love, hugs and kisses, Granny

    ReplyDelete