Being an ESL teacher, it can often be quite frustrating trying to "teach" anything. It is everyone's second language! And every kid in every class, while they may be all on the same level in their first language, are all on completely different levels when it comes to their second language. So, do you teach low level English, not challenging those who already know the material being taught? Or do you teach higher level English, skipping over those who need to master lower skills first? Creating lesson plans that are versatile enough to help both groups of children succeed can be quite difficult, to say the least.
I think it is important for me to remember that not every class needs to be "taught" by my definition of "teach." In America, a teacher would help students learn information that they can gradually build upon year after year. However, ESL can't be taught this way, and trying to do so will only leave you frustrated, as it has me. My job is to teach my kids English and American culture. All I have to do is open my mouth, and if they are listening, they are learning. So, creating fun games and activities around each lesson's vocabulary and phrases are key.
For most classes, today we were in period 3 of lesson 14. I happen to greatly dislike 3rd period. If going by the book, we start off listening to a "song," listening and singing with the "song," and then singing the "song" without help....boring!! In fact, these songs are quite ridiculous funny. Lesson 14's "song":
"Don't take off your shoes. Don't take off your shoes. We don't take off our shoes in the house.
Tra lalala Tra lalala, la, lala....... Tra lalala, Tra lalala, la, lala."
Many of the lesson's scenarios were centered around the fact that Americans wear large muddy boots inside the house. Well, obviously I shared the true side of the story. American's do wear shoes in the house, and it makes our floors dirty. We don't wear muddy shoes inside. So, really, it becomes a game of "how much dirt is too much?" A little dirt is ok.
I have class 6-1 Monday's and Wednesday's. This little boy, whose English name is Joshua, is the little cute, chubby boy that I spoke of in earlier blogs, and the reason I like this class. I'm pretty sure he attends an English Hagwon (private center) after school, hence his English name. He is always so attentive when I am explaining American culture. It's as if he finds it so interesting. He would ask details of my American Thanksgiving when I was explaining the menu. If he doesn't know how to ask in English, he will ask MinChan in Korean and MinChan will ask me. But he always tries to speak English first...an ESL teacher's star student for sure! He is my only student, out of all 10 six-grade classes, that says everything, from "Teacher" to "Yes, Monday" and "Stop talking please!," in English.
I taught them about Black Friday and Gingerbread Houses today. Anytime the students would get too loud, I would just threaten them with teaching 3rd period instead. That would get them quiet.
I've been trying to get my classes in the Christmas spirit. However, none of my students, not even my little ones, write letters to Santa. Everyone just tells me, "Appa hago Oma" which means "Daddy and momma." Even though I never truly believe in Santa, I always loved playing pretend; the letter, the cookies, the stories...the whole bit :)
When I played "Rodolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" for my after school students, their eyes were glued to the TV (courtesy of youtube) the whole time! I have never seen that attention in the whole time I've been in Korea. I should have had Christmas in July as well...

Odd song but it just goes to show how even a small thing in a culture can be misunderstood.
ReplyDelete