Chorong's roommate was going to her home, but nevertheless, didn't want anyone sleeping in her bed. So, we went to a 찜질방 next door. It was so nice and relaxing. After showering and soaking in the hot tub, I felt fantastic. The floors outside of the spa room were heated and pajama's were provided. There was way too much racket coming from a drunk Ajuchi in the main sleeping area, so we went to this small nook upstairs, where, by the way, it was like a sauna. The floors were super-heated, which felt nice for a bit. We had a very thin pad with a ridiculously small, thick, and hard pillow. I tossed and turned for several hours before taking a 30 minute nap. I was rudely awoken by several girls talking and running around (well, as much as you can when you are bent over in a small loft area). If I was in America, I'd tell them to shutup and go to sleep, but this isn't my country, so I didn't say anything. After that, I just tossed and turned, every time more painful than the last, until I finally decided to wake a peacefully sleeping Chorong up at 8am. With sweat dripping off of me, I went downstairs where it was a bit cooler, back up another staircase where my locker was to undress, and walked back downstairs towards the spa, to one again, soak in the hot tub. With no sleep and aching muscles, it was very nice, and I probably stayed there for 40min or more.
I came out of the spa room, dried off, dried my hair, and went upstairs to get dressed. Off we went back to Chorong's apartments to eat some breakfast before heading to the subway for our 1hour ride to Dobongsan Mountain. This would be my second time climbing the mountain since working at ECC in March. Obviously, you can walk to Dobongsan from Uijeongbu, but it's about a 3 1/2 hour subway ride from where I live now, which is why I spent the night in Seoul.
Poor Chorong was stressing about the food, the hike, what route we should take, and so on, when all I was gonna do is get out at an exit and follow the Koreans like I always do. Out an exit, cross the street, buy some delicious 김밥 하고 옥수수 (Kimbahp and steamed corn) for lunch, follow the crowd of hikers well adorned with their gear of backpacks, picnic blankets, water bottles, hats, hiking pants, shirt, and shoes, gloves, and hiking stick, and maneuver our way through the street vendors selling all kinds of food, from kimbahp and steamed corn, to tiny barbequed birds, raw fish, dried squid, octopus, and rice cakes. I will admit that kimbahp was the most delicious I've had since being in Korea. It really does matter how the rice is seasoned.
Ah, the mountain! Every time we would come to a cross roads, it would be a big decision, as it was already noon and would be dark in about four or five hours. Taking a long hike wouldn't have been a smart option. We spent about 3 1/2 hours hiking up Dobongsan, stopping along the way to sit and enjoy the scenery, rest, drink some water, or eat some food. Once sitting on top a large rock at the summit, it was amazing! Looking at the wilderness around us and glancing at the city beneath us....breath-taking for sure! There we saw a kitten (there are all kind of stray kitties running around Korea) eating 남 (persimmon) that someone had thrown out. She was crying, which made me sad. I'm sure she was cold and hungry. I wished I could have taken her home, but I don't think she would have enjoyed the 2 hour hike back down the mountain while squeezed in my arms. She soon disappeared into the woods and was seen no more.
Hiking a different path than I had before, this adventure was completely different from the last. Our decent down the mountain began with a near rock-climbing experience, which definitely made me nervous, but I had nothing to fear. The fall leaves made the ground and rocks quite slippery, but with these amazing RedFace hiking shoes I bought at Emart when mom was here, I never once fell. Soon, the massive amount of hikers normally seen on this mountain dwindled, and the sky was nearing darkness. Luckily, we met an incredibly nice middle-aged man who gave me his hiking stick and gave Chorong a nice, sturdy stick that he found in the woods, and hiked with us all the way down the mountain. Well, seeing as we hiked down a different mountain, it was dark when we finished, both our phones were dead, and we ended up on a road in the middle of no where, I'm glad he was with us. He spoke a good bit of English and had traveled to America and other countries for his international textile business.
He unlatched his bicycle and walked with us down a long road with small single-family housing separated by corn and rice fields, and family farms. There were no other people in sight other than another hiker that soon pasted us. About 40 minutes later, we arrived at a Subway station, which I would have never found after meandering through the countryside. We thanked the nice man and went on our way. I could have transferred to line 4 from line 1 and just headed home, as it would be quite a long ride. However, my change of clothes, toiletries, and winter jacket/scarf were at Chorong's apartment, which means I had to ride line 1 to Jongno3ga, go to her house, get my things, and then take line 1 two stops until I could transfer to line 4. It was quite busy, but soon I found the best seat on the train, the one near the railing at the end of a group of seats. There, I took off my two scarves and jacket, hung it over the railing, and rested my head there until I fell asleep. I woke up at Geumjeong, 40 minutes or so from my house. Funny though, because the guy across the way was sleeping, except he was in a lot funnier and more embarrassing position than I was. Ah, these drunken men that have to be talked to by their fellow elders on the subway.
Ah, Jeongwang, 20 minute walk, shower, bed. My nice, warm, comfortable bed. I got home about 10pm and feel asleep about 12am. I'm pretty sure I stayed in the same position all night long. Fantastic.
Sunday morning I met Angelique and this girl Crystal at Gojan station where we took a bus to Jen's apartment. Wow!! Not only does Jen's apartment smell amazing, but she had candles, real nice chocolate brown matching furniture (coach, kitchen table, chairs, desk, tv cabinet, automun, a real bed!), gorgeous pillows, two layered cherry red curtains, the works! She even had a nice bathroom, with no mold, mildew, or dirt in her grout, a counter, and scented candle for her guests. Her apartment is no bigger than mine, but it sure is nicer. She had made herself a home in Korea, and it is such a blessing that she chooses to share it with others. You know she even has carpet on her stairs leading to her loft? And that the stairs are big enough for a human-sized foot?! I can even almost stand up when in her bedroom. I must hunch over like an old lady in mine, and walk down my stairs like a retarded duck, hoping I don't slip on the wood with my socks.
She bought an oven that plugs into her wall and is about twice the size of a large microwave. She makes many meals and baked goods for pleasure, which I can totally understand :) We enjoyed a nice cinnamon french toast, scrambled egg, bacon, sausage, fruit, and hashbrown breakfast! We even had maple syrup to drip over the pancakes, and orange juice to fill champaign glasses. After talking, eating, and hanging out, we sat down on her comfy coach for a nice downloaded viewing of The Social Network on her TV where the vision and dream of Facebook came alive. Nice movie, especially for those who knew Facebook in it's younger days, but definitely glad I didn't pay $8 to see it in a theater back home.
After the movie, two of the guest, Kyla (from Scotland) and Crystal (from Canada) left. Jen, Angelique and I stayed, talked a bit, and then went out for sushi. The restaurant we went to was amazing! We got sushi, soup, salad, edemame, sauteed mushrooms, pickled radish, and others...for only 6,000W!! Nice, eh? I'm like the only American (aside from my 3rd cousin Aaron) in my circle of friends, so I tend to throw in some Canadian or South African flares in my speech...hehe.
Back on the subway, headed towards home.... I watched an episode of The Good Wife, since my connection and computer were both acting nicely, before heading to bed.
With no shower, and cuddle duds under my jeans and bright pink long sleeve shirt, I went to work. And, after first period, I was told we would go take our teacher's picture in front of the school. Nice. I had a whole outfit picked out for the day we would take pictures... And this wasn't it. This picture is going to be in the yearbook for years to come...nice!

Sounds like you had a nice time, miss you.
ReplyDeleteDad