1.) Hierarchy:
Western- Teachers talk to, and are perhaps friends with, the principle and vice principle.
Korean- It is not appropriate for teachers to have such a close relationship.
I don't see my principle often, and probably couldn't pick him out of a crowd.
2.) School buildings & supplies:
American- They all look different & have access to different equipment, facilities, & supplies according to their funding from the government and current budget. And their funding from the government, in Florida's case, is based on standardized test scores, as well as the amount of free & reduced lunch students attending that school.
Korean- Every building looks exactly the same, inside and out. Every classroom has the same equipment. There is a national curriculum, that even I, must follow. Each school teaches from the same books. Every student goes to school to learn the exact same thing as one another. And every school gets the exact same budget from the government.
3.) Testing & placement:
American- Standardization is the key. Tests are designed to test the child's ability, disregarding any bias that may or may not come from the test-giver. These test are designed by qualified individuals who strive to yield a non-bias view of a child's knowledge level from the results. Children are then placed into various grade levels and classes based on his or her knowledge and abilities.
Korean- English test are made and given by me. Students are placed into English classes not based on their English ability, but their Korean grade level. Some of my six graders are on a third grade English level, while some of them might be at first grade. Since all six graders are required to complete the 7th national curriculum handed down to schools by the government of Korea, it would be impossible for things to work otherwise. However, I can only assume that for all other subject matter, there is some sort of standardized way of testing children's abilities.
4.) Children with disabilities:
American- We have a phenomenal system set in place that most everyone reading this knows about. Kids are tested, labeled, and placed into classes according to his or her physical and/or mental abilities. These classes provide a nurturing environment in which these children can grow, learn, and later become successful members of society.
Korean- "Special" students aren't labeled anything but. The other students don't talk to them, and the teachers tell them not to bother others. The "special" kids spend class time walking around, looking out the windows, and making funny noises. I don't know what labels these kids would have if they were given one. In fact, I don't know what future these kids would have if they were given an environment that would foster such a thing. It's quite taboo for families, so eventually that child will no longer go to school, missing out on the education and future they could have had.
A conversation I heard:
Girl- How's your family?
Coworker- Oh, they are great. But my brother is sick.
Girl- I hope he gets better.
(Next Day)
Girl- How's your brother? Does he need to go to the doctor?
Coworker- Oh, he is still sick. I don't think he is going to get better.
Girl (puzzled)- Why's that?
Coworker- It's in his head. He has...ahh...uhhh.... (looks up word in Korean/English dictionary)
Girl- Oh, autism.
Maybe they have some labels for these kids, but I don't know how specific they are, and I'm not sure that they know what do about it yet.
5.) Lunch:
American- Children have lunch rooms in which the kitchen staff prepare and serve the students while the lunch ladies have to patrol the chaos. The messes made are out-of-this-world disgusting, and the garbage, well, lets not go there. Can you tell I was a lunch lady?
Korean- I suppose there is a kitchen somewhere. There are designated children from every classroom to go get the cart of food. This cart is great! It is stainless steal, on wheels, and has a compartment for side dishes, trays, and silver wear underneath the compartment for soup. The large tray of rice sits on top, and is later placed on the shelves that fold out of the cart. These designated students then serve their classmates lunch. No hassle, no mess. The students retrieve, serve, and clean up after, lunch. In fact, they don't really make a mess either. What a great idea. Too bad it wouldn't really work with American kids.
6.) Cleaning:
American- Janitorial staff take care of this.
Korean- The children clean! Different students are assigned to different classrooms each day. They sweep, sometimes mop, and take out the trash and (on Wednesdays) the recycling. My first reaction is "Why don't we do that?" But then I realize "Right, America kids would just refuse to clean, back-talk, and leave grown-ups to do all the work anyway."
That's all I can really think of for now. Just some interesting cultural differences. Toodles!

It is so interesting to learn about other educational systems. Thanks for taking the time to share your insights.
ReplyDelete